Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Moons, Rings, and Planets

Week 4

This week's lesson was all about the planets.  The students had studied the planets and solar system earlier in the year, so it was a dance review on the things they had previously learned.

I lead exercises for each planet, based on the planet's unique qualities.  We talked about the difference between the inner planets and the gas giants, and discussed each planet's unique elements.

Out of all of the planet exercises, I think the class enjoyed the one for Mars the most.  I shared with them that in the astronomy class I am enrolled in at BYU, we discussed the possibility of alien life. I told them no alien life has been discovered, BUT if it was to be found, it would be on Mars because there is evidence of water there and it's temperature is closest to Earth's. Though there is no alien life (that we know of), I thought it would be fun to explore how aliens could potentially move.


 For Mars' exercise we explored the potential ways aliens could travel from one location to another.  The dancers had to start from one side of the room and travel to the other side in a creative way.  I would tell the students a number of body parts that could touch the ground, and they had to use that number to travel.  Each students came up with a unique way to use their limbs to travel to the other side.  They enjoyed being silly and coming up with creative solutions to the task.



1 comment:

  1. Hi, Tessa!

    I loved this lesson! Your ideas are always so creative, and I really appreciate the love of learning that you bring into your classroom. Teaching the planets this way is memorable and a great way to get the students to take an active role in their own educations. Great job!

    ReplyDelete